Related words people use to talk
about Weather in English
Look at this list of common weather words. Notice that it is very common to form adjectives by adding ‘-y‘.
Nouns: sun – wind – cloud – fog – shower – heat – humidity…
Adjectives: sunny – windy – cloudy – foggy – showery – hot – humid…
Note: When it rains for a short period of time, we call it a shower, e.g. We had several
showers yesterday afternoon.
When it is raining a lot we often say it’s pouring or it’s pouring with rain. This phrase is
much more common than ‘it’s raining cats and dogs‘, which many students seem to learn.
boiling->hot->warm->not very warm->cold->freezing
(= very hot)———————————–(= very cold)
People around the world have different ideas about temperature:
• 5°C (five degrees centigrade) is freezing for many Brazilians.
• -10°C (minus ten degrees or ten degrees below zero) is very cold but quite normal in the mountains in Switzerland during the winter when it usually snows a lot.
• 30-35°C is boiling for England and very unusual, but it is very common in parts of Spain during the summer.
a breeze – a wind – a strong wind – a gale – a hurricane
The first word here is very gentle; the last is more than 100 km per hour and can be very dangerous.
• It was a hot day but there was a lovely breeze.
• The wind blew my hat off.
• The hurricane in Florida destroyed trees and buildings.
A spell (= period) of very hot weather often ends with a thunderstorm. First it becomes very
humid (= hot and wet), then you get thunder and lightning, and finally, very heavy rain (= it
pours with rain). Afterwards, it is usually cooler and it feels fresher.
Test your knowledge now by passing this test from here:
Complete this text with suitable words.
The single greatest influence on Japanese weather is the wind. During the summer it (1) ……….. from the Pacific, causing (2) …………… and humid weather, but in winter, the north-westerly (3) ……………… from Siberia are very cold and it (4) …………….. heavily on the mountains of the north-west. The south-eastern parts receive cold dry air. Between June and mid July, there is a (5) ………………. of wet weather when the rice fields get the water vital for growth. After that, there is less (6) ………….. rain, but the air is still (7) ……………. Autumn, however, is drier, and usually very pleasant.
True or false? If a sentence is false, write a true sentence about the weather conditions in the sentence.
1. It often pours with rain in the desert.
2. It gets quite chilly in the desert in the evening.
3. Thunder makes a noise.
4. Lightning can kill people.
5. A shower is a gentle breeze.
6. A spell of hot weather may end in a thunderstorm.
7. If it is humid, the air will be very dry.
8. Below zero, water turns to ice.
9. Heavy rain means that it is pouring with rain.
10. When it’s foggy you need sunglasses.
(Try to use as many words as possible from what you have just learned.)