Are you struggling with writing an academic text? This MOOC will ease the pain, and make your writing shine.
About ‘How to write an Academic text easly’ course
This MOOC takes you through the basics of academic writing step by step. From structuring and organising an academic text to avoiding common pitfalls that can negatively affect your credibility, this 6-week course offers a guide for those who want to improve their writing. It looks at various components that will make your academic writing stand out for all the right reasons, including paragraphing, style, tone, paraphrasing and punctuation. Using samples of student writing it also gives you tips on what to avoid and explains why. Each week is comprised of video lessons, followed by exercises and peer-review tasks, taking you through various aspects of academic writing.
The course requires upper-intermediate (B2) to advanced English (C1).
What you’ll learn
- to understand the basic tenets of academic writing
- to identify the different genres and the expectations of each one
- to overcome writer’s block
- to stucture your ideas cohesively
- to write reader-friendly sentences
- to use appropriate tone to gain credibility
- to avoid plagiarism
- finaly, to ensure your text respects the rules of general punctuation in English.
The MOOC “Academic Writing Made Easy” covers the following topics to help you improve your writing:
- Week 1 – Rhetorical Preferences: Meeting the expectations of your target group
- Week 2 – Genre: Differentiating between types of scholarly texts
- The Writing Process: Overcoming writer’s block
- Week 3 – Cohesion: Making your ideas flow logically
- Week 4 – Sentences: Writing reader-friendly sentences
- Week 5 – Credibility: Convincing your peers to accept and believe what you write
- Week 6 – Punctuation: Polishing your text
- Putting it all together: Overcoming the last hurdles
Dr. Heidi Minning Lecturer Technische Universität München
Jeremiah Hendren Lecturer Technische Universität München
Dr. Stephen Starck Lecturer Technische Universität München
Dr. Aparna Bhar Lecturer Technische Universität München
“The course was extremely well-designed and useful. I have been writing academic papers for several years and yet, in each video, there was something new to learn. Thank you, teachers. I am presently doing a report for the World Bank and I find that the your entire course has been extremely helpful, especially the sections on genre, cohesion, nominalisations, active and passive voice, credibility and formal writing. A huge thanks to those who designed the course, presented the videos and planned the exercises.”
– Previous learner
“Dear Academic-Writing-Made-Easy team,
Thank you for the course!
I am not a student at uni. I took part in this course out of interest in English writing in all its forms. However, I can say that I am happy to have completed this MOOC. I am taking many interesting concepts and helpful ideas with me. Thanks again for the interesting course. All the best to all the team!”
– Previous learner
Finaly, if you like my lessons, please support me on ko-fi.com by buying me a coffee. Thank you in advance.